Friday, May 1, 2009

Media Literacy

Media Literacy is, according to Wikipedia, the process of accessing, analyzing, evaluating and creating messages in a wide variety of media modes, genres and forms. One of the most important results of/motivations for educating people on media literacy was mentioned by wiki: To teach everyone how to "critically analyze messages to detect propaganda, censorship, and bias"...
To me, that is the biggest goal of making everyone aware of the media/tools/etc. around them, because if they do not utilize them or understand them, then only certain voices will be represented/heard in our media, thereby creating a division/hierarchy of power... and moreover, this leads to a lack of comprehending when a certain form of media is pushing a dangerous agenda.
Googling/thinkin about "media literacy" reminded me of Twitter, a site I recently caved to become a part of... I laughed as I made my profile because I was soooo incompetent (or at least, FELT very much so) when it came to figuring out the details of how it worked.
As has been the case with a required course I am taking on computer science. I am finding that Excel and certain programs (which come pretty easy to my little brother, who has grown up using Excel/Powerpoint/etc.) are rather difficult for me to understand. It got me thinking even more about computer/internet literacy... the pro's and con's... the benefits versus negative side effects of using online resources... And I must admit, while I feel that media literacy is extremely important, I simultaneously think that the culture in which we are immersed is far too media-saturated.
... And I just may be regretting joining Twitter already:) oh well. Call me old-fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment